Tuesday, April 24, 2007

1st Avenue, I Never Knew!!

Good morning all, I've been searching for some more articles about the area and found this one on 1st Avenue. It's so cool!!

History Of First Avenue And 7th St Entry Minneapolis-Minnesota
By Keith Burke

The year was 1937, General Motors strike spreads to six states, and Social Security paid its first claim. This is also the year Greyhound bus lines opened a new depot in Minneapolis, Minnesota, which would later be known as First Avenue and 7th St entry. I will be giving you a brief history of a famous landmark of the Twin Cities.

The Greyhound bus depot located in downtown Minneapolis had many great amenities for its time. Patrons were able to take showers, they had access to public telephone, and most of all they were treated to a well air-conditioned building. During my travels in the 1980s, I do not remember any Greyhound bus station, being this nice. I recall filthy restrooms, dirty floors and slow ticket agents; maybe that's just me.

In 1968, the Greyhound bus depot was closed, giving birth to a new nightclub known as The Depot, which opened April 3, 1970. The owner was Alan Fingerhut, an heir to the Fingerhut fortune. Over the years the name may have change, but the concept remained the same. And that's live music. During the bell-bottom, polyester suit era of the 1970s, the club went to a disco format and changed its name to Uncle Sam's.

The club fell on hard financial times. In 1979, and also in 2004, causing the club to close for two weeks. In my opinion it was due to new clubs opening up in the downtown warehouse district, and also the surrounding suburbs. Also, it was due to companies such as Clear Channel and Clear Channel entertainment (Live Nation) abilities to book top-notch acts. Despite the setbacks First Avenue and 7th St entry continued to thrive.

Over the years First Avenue has opened its doors to many local and national acts, such as Ike and Tina Turner, Run DMC, Culture Club, Alexander O'Neal, and Joe Cocker who played two sets opening-night back in the day when it was called The Depot.

And how can you mention Minnesota without mentioning its very own Prince, who used the club as a backdrop for his movie, Purple Rain.

In my conclusion, if you are ever in the Minneapolis area, please stop by the club. Just like in the days of old, when it was a bus depot. The doors continue to be open to all types of patrons, from hip-hop to punk rockers.

Keith Burke enjoys writing and seeing the city by riding the Minneapolis Light Rail. If you would like to learn more about Minnesota and what it has to offer visit http://www.lightrailvacations.com/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Keith_Burke
http://EzineArticles.com/?History-Of-First-Avenue-And-7th-St-Entry-Minneapolis-Minnesota&id=417064

I had no idea that 1st Avenue had so much history???? Did you? It's really funny, I was talking with a friend that I met here on myspace and they asked me how many times I'd been to the MOA, I've only been a handful of times!! I can't say that I've ever been to 1st Avenue either but after reading this article, your darn right I'm going to make a point of it!! Have you ever been? What was your experience there?

Thanks and have a great day

Beth